10 November 2008

Check your facts Elisabeth!

Josh always asks why I put myself through this. I almost always get worked up when I watch The View. Today they continued a conversation they started on Friday about the Prop 8 initiative in California. First I got worked up when Elisabeth, once again, got her facts wrong. She, more than once, said that 62% of the voters voted 'yes' for Prop 8. If fact, according to cnn.com, the final vote count, with 100% of precincts reporting, was 52% (5,424,916 votes) yes to 48% (4,932,086 votes) no (cnn.com). This 10% is very important!

This one really got me upset though. Elisabeth tried to squeak this one by, and so far, no one on the show picked up on it. She tried to contend that the right to marry was not being taken away. She said, and I quote: "no one is denied their right to marry, every citizen in the United States has the right to marry, you just have to marry the person of the opposite sex, no one is denied that actual right." Are you serious! If I can find the video clip, I'll link to it.

UPDATE: as promised, here is the video from today's The View.



It's so frustrating, and after watching this again, Whoopie and Joy pick up on an important point. If they didn't believe in your bible, Elisabeth, how could their marriage, not to each other, but in general, be blessed by you? This would include atheists, agnostics, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and countless other religions. I'm glad that these factions never had to fight for their right to marry. How can a land with no national religion rely so heavily on one to pass laws?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home